Homemade Pesto

Homemade Pesto



Thanks to a cheap Trader Joe's Basil Plant (approx. $3) we have been enjoying delicious and affordable homemade pesto all summer.

Here are some pictures and the recipe I use (loosely).


"INGREDIENTS
  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed (can sub half the basil leaves with baby spinach)
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan-Reggiano cheese (about 2 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup pine nuts (can sub chopped walnuts)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 3 teaspoons)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more to taste"

Link here from simplyrecipes.com

My little basil plants have been taking off. The first one did well so I invested in a second. In the past, I've had issues with Basil lasting through hot California summers. However, we have composted soil in our garden beds and along with affordable canal water for watering plants, I've been able to keep my basil thriving. 


I learned to nip the flowers of the basil as soon as they come up to help keep the leaves bigger and tastier. 

Read about harvesting basil: here 

So now I am consistently pruning my basil. My tips for transplanting basil from a small pot to soil is to move the basil very gradually from shade to direct sunlight and to water generously. 

I love eating pesto in pasta, on salads, on toast, in sandwiches, etc. 


We used to buy the pesto at Costco, but it was just too cheesy and garlicly for me. Also, it was $7 a jar. This way, we can make enough pesto to share and keep it to our exact specifications. It's also really easy to make dairy free or vegan friendly pesto by either subsituting the cheese for non-dairy cheese substitute, or just taking it out all together. I did try adding avacado once and I do not reccommend that...didn't turn out well. You can also mix in spinach, kale, walnuts, or even switch out the type of oil you use. 

It's also a great project for small children because everyone can help harvest!












Have fun with it and make some for your friends!


Comments

Popular Posts