DIY Pennant Flags - The Royal Tenenbaums Style


DIY Pennant Flags - The Royal Tenenbaums Style


The Royal Tenenbaums is probably my favorite film, if not definitely in my top 5. I will never forget when my dad took me to see it in the theater when it first came out. Later, dating my now husband, we found that Wes Anderson films, especially The Royal Tenenbaums was a shared interest.



As far as films go, I find it is almost without fault and enjoyable no matter how many times I have seen it. It's both asthetically beautiful and well developed in its characters and plot.

While we don't own a mansion in NY with a turret, we do have two little girls with a whimsical nursery. I felt the perfect addition would be some Tenenbaum style pennant flags.

This is a great project even if you are not a Tenenbaum fan as you can make things with any colors, any symbols, any size, any fabric. School Pennants are expensive, how fun would it be to make someone one for their college of choice, high school team, favorite animal, favorite band, even a food? (I see an excellent PIZZA one in my future...)



Total Project cost: $2.47 plus tax

Materials:
Felt Pieces

Pink Stiff Felt $1.49
White Normal Felt $0.49
Black Normal Felt $0.49

Tools:
Thread (White and Black)
Scissors
Cup (for drawing a circle)
Highlighter, sewing Marker, or chalk for drawing letters and circle
Ruler or straight edge for drawing the triangle and side rectangle
Sewing machine (could easily be done by hand or even with adhesive if you don't care about long term use)

Steps:

1. Draw a triangle for the pennant and cut out two triangles from my pink felt.
I didn't cut the end because I used a small 8X10 piece of pre cut felt to save money. I was also going for a watered down look of the flag to resemble a school pennant flag.
(My husband and I are currently designing a larger, personalized flag for our front yard that will be different colors and with a different symbol. That one will not be made from felt and will feature the two pronged ending. )

2. Cut it out. Use the wide edge of the flag to measure the white band. I made it double the with I wanted and then folded the piece over and pinned it to the flag. This is useful for a more realistic pennant look, and also good if you want to stick it on a stick ever.

3. Then I used the bottom of a cup to draw a circle and cut that out of the white felt.
I pinned these circles where I wanted them on each of the pennants.


4. I drew out the letters on the black felt and cut and pinned them onto the white circles.


5. I sewed down the white band on the edge, the white circle (both with white thread), then switched in some black thread and sewed down the letters.


Total Time: 15 minutes while my kids were napping. Go team!

(Freya is a fan)

(Violet wants out of her crib)


I love these. They are fun, fast, cheap, and homemade. Maybe they will be destroyed by my rambunctious offspring, or maybe they will be one of those few decorations that last through the years and become a staple of their room.



I hope one day they find out about the inspiration and the film that helped their parents fall in love.

Comments

Popular Posts